Sunday, May 21, 2006

Malare Mounama : Duet of this Decade, I reckon

The Start

“Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable”, quoted by a famous English writer and critic Samuel Johnson, once. Listening to these days music one would definitely agree with Samuel’s. I agree Music is a sound, but now-a-days ITS JUST A NOISE. I’m not criticizing the Divine Music, but the composers and singers. Especially Singers, I don’t know why they are trying to sing nostrils, sooner or later, they will get a polyp Singer’s nodule in their NOSE, instead of, in their throat. Let me to forget about those, and discuss about a song which will make you wonder if I say, it was composed in this decade, when Music removed from the LIFCO list of Acoustics and added in the list of noice. Just Listen to a song composed by Vidyasaagar based on the Raaga Dharbari Kanada, “Malere Mounama, Mouname Vedhama”, sung by ofcourse My SPB and Darling of Dulcet S.Janaki.


The Raaga

Darbari Kanada, before of all, I would like to write about raga using which the song “Malare mounama” was composed, got this name, as it was composed by the Great Tansen in the Darbar of Akbar. It is usually night time raga and used for enhancing one’s lull mood with a supper. It is, even though consider to be fit for Hindustani Gazals, when you ingredients with ragas Sudha Sarang and Pilu, then one will get southern Gazals. (Just refresh the song composed by SPB, “Vannam Konda Venilave). Hence, one wants heavenly feeling in the nights, after his hectic days, the indisputable ingredient is 3 spoon of Dharbari Kanada plus one spoon of Pilu, cocktail as per one’s wish.

The Ras

Sringar Ras, Romantic feel, this is what the Ras of the song “Malare Mounama”. There are only few songs composed using the raga Darbari Kanada for giving the romantic feel, this song is one among those few. So just imagine, Sringar mood, Darbari Kanada, Night time, and and, “Balu Balu Stop this, Still U R a Bachelor”, My Idiotic intuition always accustoms to warn me.


The Composer

Vidyasagar, I think the name should be ‘sangeedhasagar’, I should say, atleast for the composition of this eternal song. Once, SPB eulogized that Vidyasagar is a complete composer, after MSV and Raaja. No doubt about that statement, as Vidyasagar knows how to attract ‘amateur’ people like me who always says Music is nothing but Melody, and also vidyasagar knows how to attract ‘intelligent’ people who loves fast songs by saying “hi Bals (my name only), now music got a new dimension yaar, Appadi podu Podu Amuithi podu thannala”. To conclude, I think this song is the best song that Vidyasaagar ever composed.

The Lyrist

Vairamuthu, really as the name spells, his lyrics are gems. Just listen to the lines which are apt to the raga Darbari Kanada, and Sringar Ras which are explained above. “Malare Mounama”, (Night time, Flowers start budding), “Kaatrai Pola Vandhu” (Night time breeze), and many more. So, definitely one can give a slap on the backs of vairamuthu. “Oha Podu”.

The Singers

SP Bala, S. Janaki, the singers rendered this song. My secondary school teacher instructed me with a cane not to eat bee-filled sweets; otherwise, eating the throats of Bala and Janu would be my first work. I’m a fond lover of SPB-Janu’s dexterity duets; there will be a stiff competition always between them. In this song also, SPB dominated with his elastic efforts while singing the word ‘malare’ and Janu dominated while singing that humming, which is ofcourse a solitary stamp of Janaki which can’t be possible to reproduce by any singer. SPB always fulfills his fans’ expectation of smiling in between the songs, hence in this song also. One can crack the RSA 256-encrypting algorithms, and the Dan Brown’s secret of Da Venci code, But it’s always a clandestine that how SPB mixing a word and his smile (listen ‘mouname’ in the finishing’).

The Facts

After completing the recording of another song in the same film ‘karna’, (‘Putham pudhu desam’ again sung by SPB and Janu, I like this song equally with ‘malare mounama’ for SPB and Janu’s smile in between) SPB started for the day, vidyasagar requested SPB to sing this song, first SPB denied and then recorded this song.

This song was supposed to sing by Unni Menon, a notable singer from Kerala, but Actor Arjun, the hero and the producer of this movie requested the composer to ask for SPB. Incidentally, Unni Menon also supposed to sing SPB’s “Suthi Suthi Vandheega” from Padiyappa,

Those days, SPB used to record upto 9 PM only in the night, but impressed by the composition of this song, and the urgency of song to be completed in the same day, he recorded this song 10 PM in the night. And rendered his best, finished it in the mid-night.

Vidyasagar was a busy keyboard composer under many composers like Raaja, Rajkumar, and etc. He used to mix SPB’s Songs always and in one of his interview he mentioned that he was always busy and ran with SPB, as SPB sang almost 10 songs per a day.

After the recording of this song, SPB embraced Vidyasagar and kissed; no need to say Vidyasagar’s greatest moment it would be.


The Quotes

“To satisfy producers, composers have to tolerate some voices, but not in Balu sir’s case. Around 9’0 clock in the night I requested Balu sir to sing this song, first he denied and promised me to sing the same in next day morning, but we are in urgency to complete the recording in that day only, hence I compelled Balu sir to listen the track first and decide, he listened and impressed then told me that he will give 4-5 styles, and choose my wish; while rendering I don’t know which one to select as everyone was great and finally I selected the second one. After finishing the recording Balu sir hugged me, really that was my greatest moment.” Vidyasagar told this to Mr. Abdul Hameed, in Vijay TV interview.

“SPB sir sings almost for every singer, but when he sings for Rajni and Kamal, its like Rajni and Kamal singing in front of you, also take my favourite song, malare mounama from Karna, it seems Actor Arjun is singing before you, same is with my composition, I never differentiate my composition for actors”, Vidyasagar when asked about how he differentiates his style for actors, interviewed by Vaishnavi of SUN TV, who recently committed suicide.

“I’m really unlucky for not getting the song like Malare Mounama, but if I were sang that song, it wont be that much beautiful as it was by Balu sir”, Quoted by Singer Unni menon in Aanadha Vikatan.

The Final Frontier

Since all the good things outlive their purpose at some point of time, there may come a day when people simply don’t bother about melody, voices, opera in Music and composer will get singers in the e-shopping carts for shoddy rates. Be ready for those days, and if you are a conformist like me, wanted to spend peaceful older romantic days, my kind advise is “store “Malare Mounama” song in your musical system and in the future you can play it in your grandson’s I-Pod.”


Isaium Ini Mella Saagumo??

1 Comments:

Blogger Vajra Krishna said...

Hello,

For the past few months I have been avidly researching/collecting ragas for very contemporary film music. The interest had always been there, but what made me take action was after seeing Rahman win the Oscars for his music. I then realised that the attention of the west is going to be on Indian music, particularly on south indian music, and I felt that it was pivotal at this time to establish a website where the ancient heritage of this music be made available to them by first definining the ragas for very contemporary tamil music that uses the pallatable sounds appreciated on an international level. To this effect, I began collecting, and in the process discovered your blog and your own passion to make carnatic ragas and interest in ragas available to the modern generation. So far I have collected Ragas for around 500 songs (And since I am very much a beginner in identifying ragas, I have been relying on the experts and their defintions).

However, even the experts often contradict each other, so I do an enormous amount of research at any time where I notice a contradiction in order to discover what the actual raga for a given song may be.

The reason for writing to you now is to ask for your collaboration on my little project. There are some songs that I am passionate about that are very contemporary to which there is no information about their ragas. As a starting point, I have put the first 108 that came to mind on a blog, (along with the audio of the song), for experts to take a listen and identify their ragas. Using this information, I would then set up a website where people from any country can come and become introduced to Indian film music, ragas - and finally to the carnatic renditions of the ragas themselves. I humbly request your assistance.

The webblog where I have posted 108 songs with audio is:
http://vajrakrishna.wordpress.com/2009/04/22/exploring-and-identifying-ragas-a-collaborative-project/

I would be happy to share the 500 songs to which I have already collected raga names with you. Besides, I would very much appreciate your confirmation if my information is correct.

With best regards,
Vajra Krishna.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home